Moroni 9 - 8: Faith, Hope & Charity

Posted by on Monday, May 14, 2012

Moroni 9 and 8 gave me a lot to study about today. In these chapters Mormon is writing to his son Moroni .What really stuck out to me was the end of chapter 8.

Moroni said that those who are in the bonds of iniquity don't have faith, hope or charity. The thought that came to my mind when I read this was that these three attributes are the basic foundations of the Gospel. Everything else is based on these three: Faith, Hope, Charity.

As I read further I found more evidence of this. In verses 25 through 26 Mormon explained how someone comes to repentance and what happens afterwards. I had never seen the Gospel broken down to these essentials before so I read it over again. 

The first parts: Faith, Baptism, Repentance are made possible by the saving grace of Jesus Christ's Atonement. This brings the Remission of our Sins. After receiving the Remission of Sins comes the next parts: Meekness and Lowliness of Heart, Hope, Perfect Love. These are things that come because of the enabling power of the Atonement.

I really liked what was said but had trouble organizing it in my mind so I made a color-coordinated chart of the verses to help me understand how it all goes together. It was my first attempt at doing something like this but I think it turned out well and demonstrates what I learned from this scripture.


As you can see, Faith, Hope and Charity (Perfect Love) were all part of this.

Leave a Reply