Church Journal - Consitency, Testimony, Conversion

Posted by on Sunday, August 4, 2013

It has been a long time since I posted anything on this blog. It started out as a way to share my experiences with reading the Book of Mormon backwards. However I decided to change it to a way to organize what I learn everyday to the internet so I can search what I have written easier and maybe it just might help someone who stumbles upon this.

I feel that even though I am doing this for myself I will write in the blog style and with the intent that others will read this. This is because I when I explain topics to others I will think about the topics from all angles and figure out which way is the easiest way to explain them and at the same time convey the most amount of understanding of the topic.

I have started to take a notebook with me to church and during the sacrament I take it out and think about a specific topic and write down any notes or promptings I have related to that. In the past I thought about the word "remember" and how it shows up so much in the sacrament prayer. Another week I thought about the word partake and what that really means to partake of the sacrament. Whatever I do though I make sure that it relates to the sacrament and specifically what I can do to be perfected in Jesus Christ.

Today's idea was the importance of consistency. I thought about all the things in my life that bring me closer to the Savior that required consistency. The only things that I can think of that you don't do on a consistent basis are the ordinances of the Gospel (besides partaking of the sacrament).

The main things that I have to do to draw closer to the Savior is:

  • Prayer
  • Scripture Study
  • Church Attendence
  • Meditation (some people would also call this pondering)
The first three are the obvious answers that we always hear. I feel though that if we did them consistently we wouldn't be hearing them so often. The fourth one (Meditation) is one that some people might not be familiar with but I feel that everybody should take some time out of their day to just meditate. I have found that this has helped me think about the Savior without any distractions and think about what I can be doing better.

Well so I know what I need to do and so the next thing that came to my mind was: Goals. I wrote that underneath everything and then realized that goals will help me carry out these things consistently but only if I am consistent with my goals.

I am in the process of writing out goals for myself that will be daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly.

The last thing that I want to share is something that I wrote during Testimony meeting today. I can't remember what was said to make me think this. I feel sometimes that I don't ever learn exactly what people are sharing in their testimonies but what they are sharing is a jumping off point for me to learn what the Lord wants to teach me at that moment.

What I wrote down was:
  
 "True testimony makes us do the things we hate and don't want to do. True conversion is when we realize that we enjoy and want to do the things we once hated and avoided."

I think that goes great with what I thought about consistancy. A lot of these things that I need to do are hard to do on a consistant basis. I don't hate to do any of those things but I don't want to do them over other things in my life so they get pushed back. We all know what it is like when it is 1 am and you have to wake up at 7 am so you read one verse of scripture, say a quick prayer, and 5 minutes later you are sleeping. I know that I do that a lot. I feel that if I work on doing these small and simple things consistently  they will grow to be something that I enjoy and won't be a chore to do them.

Then I will be able to know that I not only have a testimony but I am being converted and eing perfected in Him.




Leave a Reply